Monday 30 May 2011

No More Children

I went out of town with my friend today.  The day started out just fine, and we were having a good time... until the ride home...

My friend, L, has gone through an abusive marriage, too.  So, we have things in common.  We rarely talk about the abuse we've endured, but we each know we understand the other.  I don't remember how we got on the topic, but today we started to talk about having children.  She told me she found out 2 years after she got married that she was unable to get pregnant.  I remembered back to me getting pregnant with our children, and how I was only 24 when I got my tubes tied.  My husband and I decided that 2 was it, regardless if our second was a boy or a girl.  So, when I was signing the c-section papers, I also signed for my tubes to be tied.

I pushed for my husband to agree with me that 2 children are enough.  I talked about the cost of raising children, that we both work, and that 2 kids seem to be the norm.  And, at least they'd have each other to play with.

What I didn't tell him was the real reason there was no way I wanted any more children with him.

It hurts so much to even think about that I can't even say it here... not yet anyway.  Maybe in time - could be tomorrow, could be next month.  Just not yet.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you were able to write what you did about it here. To not want more children by him seems like a good decision. I was glad that my mother didn't have any children by my abusive step-father. What a mess that would have been.

    Take care,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing understanding with me. It means a lot. Sometimes it feels like no one gets it. Your Mom did the right thing if you ask me... and that's why I knew I couldn't have any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it sounds like it was a sensitive conversation that was provoked some emotion in you. I know that is a fluffy comment... but I can't even imagine what it must have been like for you. As your friend, I could never picture nor want your personal life to have had such tragedy. I know you've grown so strong because of it. And I guess that is the thing you have to keep holding onto... as well as the beauty of your two children. Stay strong, girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jane, thanks for commenting and for caring about what has happened. You are a great friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Spin!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's nice to hear from you. I missed you too. I have not been able to write and visit much but hope to be back again soon. Take care and God bless you!

    Warm regards,
    Nancie

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Nancie! How nice to hear from you!! Hope things are going well. Sending love!

    ReplyDelete