Friday 27 May 2011

Depressive Thyroid

I went to see my Counselor the other day, and she suggested anti-depressants to me.  I told her that medication isn't even an option until after court is over.  She understood why that is necessary.  I stopped in to see her again yesterday because of some things that had come up over the evening/morning.  She told me that she had a "Case Conference" with the Nurse about me and that after court is over, the Nurse will talk to me about anti-depressants.

The curve in it, is that my thyroid is low.  Low thyroid can do all kinds of things to the body, including low grade depression, low energy, and chills.  I had those symptoms for most of the winter.  I just got blood work done again to check it, and, if it is still as low as it was back in September, then my dose will be upped. I know that will make a big difference.

Normal thyroid range is between 9 and 23.  Mine, in Sept., sat at a 13.  Technically, that was normal.  But, when I was diagnosed a few years ago, my doctor and I went trial by error to see where I function best.  Turns out, I need to be a high normal.  13 just doesn't cut it for me.

So, after trial, I should have my results back and started on a higher dose.  Then, I will be able to determine if my depression is because of the low thyroid, or because I'm just plain depressed.  If the latter is the case, anti-depressants will be recommended to me... I'm really not sure I would even consider it at that point.

5 comments:

  1. I hope that this works out for you. I think that physicians often forget to rule out other important causes of depression. I am also on a supplement to suppress any unnecessay over working with is for post thyroid carcinoma. No treatment need or anything.

    I am really glad that your physician understands. Also, thank you for letting me know where you went. take care and be well

    ReplyDelete
  2. How soon will court be over for you?
    You must take care of yourself through this all.
    Thinking and praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. CC - She is understanding and listens to what I have to say. She's very good. So, after my body regulates to the new dose, I will, hopefully, back into 'normal' running condition and not need meds. Personally, I don't believe I need them. I got off of everything when I dealt with stuff after my misdiagnosis of bipolar. I don't want to go back to that. I just need to deal with all the years of abuse and what that has done to me and my children.

    Thanks for coming by - I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne - Court is the middle of June, which should be the end of it for a while. I am taking care of myself now by not pushing myself to deal with or do more than I can safely. My goal for each day is to survive, and I do whatever necessary for that to happen - even if it's not what others think I should be doing.

    Thanks for your thoughts and care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know that you know your limits and don't push yourself.
    That is important.
    You will survive. No doubt about it!

    ReplyDelete